Parents seeking to establish paternity for child support payments can now access Texas OAG Child Support to set up paternity applications online. The Texas OAG (Office of the Attorney General) assists parents in obtaining medical aid and child support for their dependent children.
Single parents of dependent children may be interested in receiving assistance for one of the following reasons:
- A court order establishing child support payments has not been set up
- A parent may have a registry-only case open with the Attorney General, but wish to have their case turned into a full-service one by establishing other services, such as enforcement or modification.
It is necessary to provide copies of all orders concerning any child who will be included in the case. If a parent is currently receiving payments, these payments could be delayed if the necessary information is not received.
When you Access Texas OAG child support to set up paternity application online, case workers will review and decide on which actions are appropriate for them to take. The Department will contact you if additional information is required, to advise of hearing dates or legal actions, and to discuss settlement or payment offers.
Applying to Establish Paternity
Individuals have the ability to access Texas OAG Child Support to set up paternity applications online while completing a child support payment application. You may apply to establish paternity if the following statements are true:
- You are the mother of the child/children
- The child/children currently live with you, and you have primary physical custody
- You are not married to the biological father and paternity has not previously been established
When seeking to prove who the father of your child/children is, provide all information requested in the application. Information needs to be provided on each child involved to have paternity established; the office must have separate sets of information for each child of the alleged father(s).
Child Support Division Actions
By accessing Texas OAG Child Support to set up a paternity application, be aware the Department will attempt to:
- Find the location of a noncustodial parent
- Establish paternity for children born outside of marriage
- Create and impose child and medical support orders, or review existing orders
- Establish child support payments through income withholding, tax interception, or contempt of court hearings.
Should you require any assistance with your application to establish paternity or set up child support payments, please contact the Child Support Division of the Texas OAG directly at (800) 252-8014 or visit www.oag.state.tx.us/cs/