For those interested in becoming a taxi driver in London, an application must be submitted to Transport for London (TfL) for the required driving licence. There are two main types of driving licenses for taxi drivers:
- The Green Badge, which is the licence that allows you to work all throughout London.
- The Yellow Badge, which is the suburban licence that restricts you to only working in the suburban areas of the city.
You will need to pass an enhanced criminal records check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) before applying for your driver’s licence. After that, you’ll be ready to move onto the next step in getting your direct Gov.UK taxi driver Licence to work in London.
Taxi Licence Application Process
Following requirements must be met in order to acquire a taxi license:
- All applicants must be at least 21 years of age
- Applicants are required to be European Union or UK citizens
- Applicants must hold a full Great Britain, Northern Ireland, or European Economic Area driving licence.
In addition to the criminal records check, you will need to pass a knowledge test, the Driving Standards Agency taxi driving assessment, and have a medical examination with your doctor. The appropriate fees will need to be submitted along with each driver’s application.
After these steps have been completed, your application will be reviewed and you will be notified if you meet their requirements for a Direct Gov.UK taxi driver licence to work in London.
Renewing a Taxi Driver Licence
If you have previously worked as a taxi driver in London, Transport for London will send a licence renewal form to your residence prior to your current driving licence expiration date. If your licence expires, you will be unable to drive a taxi until your licence is renewed with TfL.
Another background check from the Disclosure and Barring Service must be passed before your licence renewal can be returned. In addition to background check, the following items are required to be submitted with your renewal form to TfL:
- Two passport-sized pictures
- Either the original or a paper copy of your current DVLA drivers licence
- The original copy of your current taxi driver’s licence
- Renewal fees
- Your reference number from DBS to review your enhanced criminal check.
Renewal forms, payment and supporting documents must be returned to Driver Renewals department of TfL. Once these steps are completed, your licence will be renewed and you can resume work as a London taxi driver.