California LifeLine is a state program that provides basic home phone services at a discount to households that meet some basic criteria.
You can qualify for California LifeLine if you or another person in your household is enrolled in a public-assistance program such as Supplemental Security Income (SSI), National School Lunch Program (NSL), Federal Public Housing Assistance, Medicaid or Medi-Cal, Women, Infants and Children Program (WIC), Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), and more.
You can also qualify for California LifeLine on an income basis. You may be eligible for California LifeLine if your household’s total annual gross income is equal to or below $25,100 for 1-2 members, $29,300 for three members, $35,400 for four members and $6100 for each additional member. Documentation is required to show your household income meets the annual income limits. If you are qualifying on an income basis, you will need to provide proof of your income. Acceptable types of proof include state tax returns, earnings statements or pay stubs for three consecutive months out of the last 12 months, a Social Security benefits statement, pension documents, Veterans Administration documents, Unemployment or Workmen’s Compensation documents, and Alimony and/or child support documents.
If You Think You Qualify
To apply for California LifeLine, call your home phone company and let them know why you think you qualify for the program; they will start the application process for you. You can also apply online.
Applying Online for California LifeLine
To apply online, you must have received a form from the California LifeLine Administrator.
1) To start your application, go to www.californialifeline.com/online.
2) Enter your telephone number, including area code, in the appropriate boxes on the page. Your application or renewal form has a 4-digit personal identification number (PIN). Enter this PIN in the appropriate box on the screen.
3) Choose from the drop down menu how you heard about the program, then log in.
4) Click on the log in button after entering your home telephone number and PIN. If your home telephone number and PIN matches California LifeLine’s records, you can continue with the application or renewal process. However, if they do not match California LifeLine’s records, try entering your home telephone number and PIN again. If your attempt to login is still unsuccessful, please select “contact us” to contact the administrator.
5) Once you have submitted the application, wait for a notice from California LifeLine to let you know if your application is accepted.
6) After you log in, a log out button will be visible on every page on the website. You may log out at any time.