The American Association of Retired Persons, or AARP, is one of the major nonprofit organizations devoted to enhancing the lives of seniors over the age of 50 both in the USA and worldwide.
You will see two options:
- Standard membership
- StaySharp membership
- To compare the two membership levels, click on “compare memberships.” Choose the membership that best meets your needs.
- Click on “JOIN” and you will be prompted to give basic information and choose a membership term of 1-5 years.
With all of the benefits of AARP, it makes sense to join and use the organization as a resource for making the most of your golden years!
AARP offers a wide range of unique benefits such as:
- Discounted driver safety courses, which can (in some cases) lead to lower automobile insurance rates.
- Discounts at many fine retailers and restaurants.
- 50% off the AARP dating site.
- Up to 45% off membership at Angie’s List.
- Advocacy and volunteer opportunities.
- Entertainment, including the award-winning AARP magazine and discounts to movie theaters.
- Travel benefits.
- Educational, informative webinars.
- Long-term care calculator tools.
- A useful blog with articles on topics such as how to talk to your adult children about the future, friendship, social media training (so you can keep up with the antics of your grandchildren), sex and intimacy, living with Alzheimer’s, doctor visits, health, household tips, care-giving and the best cities to retire in. There are also articles aimed at the children of seniors who need care-giving and household help, and how to deal with these delicate emotional issues while helping seniors retain their dignity.
- Job hunting tips and a job search tool. People find that after a short time, retirement leads to inactivity and lack of mental stimulation and that can trigger a rapid decline in wellbeing and health.
- Insurance products.
- Health products.
- Ability to participate in various groups catering to special interests.
- Financial services.
- Information about Medicare, care-giving, Social Security, the Affordable Care Act, health maintenance, brain health and other issues that affect seniors.
- Special events.
- Programs such as help with taxes, estate planning, what to do after retirement such as starting a new business and much more.
This is only a partial look at the benefits of AARP membership. All of these benefits, and many more, are only available by joining AARP. To enroll as a member of AARP to enjoy benefits, open your browser window and enter www.aarp.org, and you will be directed to the home page.